Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Reflections on a Swimsuit. . .

Well ladies, it's that dreaded time of year when we resurrect our old swimsuits or go shopping for a new one. Instead of feeling bad about my changing body, I decided to take a trip down memory lane and pulled out the scrapbooks.

One of the first swimsuit pictures I found of myself was an old black and white, circa 1965. Even though I can't see the color on the photo, I know it was a bright red two-piece suit with shiny brass button adornments. In the photo, my curly hair is wild and blowing in the breeze, my left knee is skinned up and by the looks of my chin, I've just finished an ice cream cone. The look on my face says it all - "I don't have a care in the world".

Next swimsuit pic is from my 16th birthday. I've just developed breasts, my posture is atrocious, my hair is hanging in my face and my body language screams, "INSECURITY".  Fast forward to the mid 70's and I'm in college laying out on the patio with all my girlfriends. We're wearing itty-bitty bikinis and we all look fabulous as we salute the camera with cans of cheap beer.

Other swimsuit photos from vacations emerge and I just have to laugh as the swimsuits get larger and the coverage grows considerably. I guess it doesn't matter after all what size we are or what swimsuit we're wearing, we are all beautiful women inside and out. Every stretch mark and every bit of cellulite is well earned. This year I'm not going to stress about the swimming suit, I'm going to celebrate being a woman!

1 comment:

Angela said...

AHHH stretchmarks! I thought I had escaped them until wham! 2 big red ones on my hip followed by a lovely network of them under my belly button. I thought about crying about it and then decided I would just use it as torture for the boys later on- in the form of "you did this to me."

Post a Comment