Thursday, December 2, 2010

Will Someone Please Listen to Me!

The past year has brought a whirlwind of physical and emotional changes. Turning 53 seems to have wreaked havoc on my system by causing symptoms like extreme fatigue, insomnia, hot flashes and weight gain. I have been to my doctor at least six times in the past year and have had every test known to man. Every visit brings the same result. "Your tests are all normal."  Will someone please listen to me! My tests may be normal, but what I'm feeling is not normal.

Like alot of women my age, I have been forced to take my health into my own hands.  I have read, researched and spoke to others to learn as much as I can about menopause. I have finally found a new health practitioner that "gets it". She has ordered additional tests to check my adrenal levels as well as my hormones. As someone who specializes in integrative (mind/body/spirit) medicine she provides education, instead of just dishing out prescriptions.  It's too bad that the mainstream medical community still treats menopausal women like hypochondriacs. But don't worry, there are people out there who do listen. It may take a little work to find them, but keep looking.  As wise women, we owe ourselves the chance to be vital, happy and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment